Hello Sew LA blog readers!
I’m Amy, and I’ve been working in the shop since August. I first asked my mom to teach me to sew when I was about five. I made a yellow swiss dot purse that matched the roman shades in my room (mom-made). My stitches were about an inch long and it didn’t stay together very well. Flash forward a decade and I had fully adopted mom’s sewing machine and was the only kid in my high school sewing my own clothes. The rest of the story is not quite so straight of a line but sewing was always that thing I went back to!
Along the way I have been able to work as a professional costumer, primarily in theater but also for dance and film. I am mostly self-taught with a few years of fashion school, some independent study with some awesome industry professionals and a lot of diving in over my head. I am also a knitter and sometimes cook. I have a profound love of fashion history and theory, all shades of gray, tea, and my aloe plant, Henry.
Enough blabbering! Let’s get on to things actually related to sewing! We’ve had some recent fabric additions and a few new patterns to our shelves that are really fantastic. Here are some of my favorite flavor pairings for the upcoming fall season:
1. Sewaholic's Hollyburn Skirt (class starts Oct 15th) in Robert Kaufman Dubliner Canvas in Navy, Robert Kaufman Hampton Twill in Peacock and just for fun, Timeless Treasures Unicorns and Rainbows.
2. Sewaholic's Belcarra Blouse (class starts Nov 5th) and
3. Deer & Doe Aubepine Dress (class starts Oct 21st) in Robert Kaufman London Calling 4 Multi Floral - just can't get enough of this print!
4. Colette Patterns Myrtle Dress (class starts Oct 12th) in Robert Kaufman Laguna Jersey cheetah print or Leah Duncan’s NY Circuit knit.
5. Decades of Style ESP Dress in Robert Kaufman Surf and Sands Tropical in Red. (Would also be super-classy in the Hampton Twill!)
Anyone else getting a 60’s vibe?? I think I need to buy a beret. Stay tuned as I’ve got some fun projects, interviews and new pattern reviews in the pipeline.